Church of Malate

NHCP Photo Collection, 2008

Location: Malate, Manila (Region NCR)
Category: Building
Type: House of Worship
Status: Level II - With Marker
Marker Date: 1937
Marker Text:
CHURCH OF MALATE

THIS SECTION OF THE CITY DATES BACK TO 1588. THE TITULAR PATRONESS OF THIS CHURCH IS NUESTRA SEIVORA DE LOS REMEDIOS WHOSE STATUE WAS BROUGHT FROM SPAIN IN 1624 BY REV. JUAN GUEVARRA, O.S.A. THE BRITISH LANDED THEIR TROOPS NEAR THESE SHORES IN 1762 AND USED THE CHURCH OF MALATE FOR PROTECTION FOR THEIR REAR-GUARD IN THE CAPTURE OF MANILA. THIS CHURCH WAS GREATLY DAMAGED BY THE EARTHQUAKE OF JUNE 3, 1863, AND WAS REBUILT BY REV. FRANCISCO CUADRADO, O.S.A. THE PARISH HAS BEEN UNDER THE SUCCESSIVE ADMINISTRATION OF THE AGUSTINIANS, THE SECULAR CLERGY, THE REDEMPTORISTS AND THE COLUMBIANS.

No comments:

Post a Comment