Church of Pan-ay*

NHCP Photo Collection, 2010

NHCP Photo Collection, 2010
                                        NHCP Photo Collection, 2010
Location: Pan-Ay, Capiz (Region VI)
Category: Building
Type: House of Worship
Status: National Historical Landmark


Marker Text:



CHURCH OF PAN-AY


PAN-AK ORIGINALLY CALLED BAMBAN, WAS ESTABLISHED IN 1572. THE FIRST CHURCH, CONSTRUCTED IN 1774 BY FR. MIGUEL MURGUIA, WAS HEAVILY DAMAGED BY TYPHOON IN 1875. THE PRESENT CHURCH WAS CONSTRUCTED IN 1884 UNDER THE DIRECTION OF FR. JOSE BELOSO WHO COMMISSIONED DON JUAN REINA TO CAST A BELL FOR THE CHURCH FROM SEVENTY SACKS OF COINS DONATED BY THE TOWNSPEOPLE. THIS BELL, THE BIGGEST IN THE PHILIPPINES, MEASURES SEVEN FEET IN DIAMETER, FIVE FEET IN HEIGHT AND WEIGHS 10,000 KIL0GRAMS. BY VIRTUE OF NHI BOARD RESOLUTION N0. 3, S. 1997, THIS CHURCH IS DECLARED A NATIONAL HISTORICAL LANDMARK.

No comments:

Post a Comment