Embassy of the United States of America Chancery


Location: Roxas Boulevard, Ermita, Manila (Region NCR)
Category: Building
Type: Foreign Embassy
Status: Level II - With Marker
Marker Date: September 22, 2005
Marker Text:
EMBASSY OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA CHANCERY

THIS BUILDING OPENED IN 1940 TO HOUSE THE OFFICES AND RESIDENCE OF THE U.S. HIGH COMMISSIONER IN THE PHILIPPINES, FRANCIS B. SAYRE. DURING WORLD WAR II, JAPANESE IMPERIAL FORCES OCCUPIED THIS BUILDING UNTIL THE ESTABLISHMENT OF THE JAPANESE-SPONSORED REPUBLIC OF THE PHILIPPINES ON OCTOBER 14, 1943, WHEN IT BECAME THE JAPANESE EMBASSY IN THE PHILIPPINES. THE U.S. ARMY'S 12TH CAVALRY LIBERATED THE COMPOUND ON FEBRUARY 20, 1945, FOLLOWING INTENSE FIGHTING DURING THE BATTLE FOR MANILA. AFTER THE WAR, THE STILL INTACT BALLROOM SERVED AS THE COURTHOUSE FOR THE WORLD WAR II WAR CRIMES TRIALS OF JAPANESE IN THE PHILIPPINES. FOLLOWING THE UNITED STATES RECOGNITION OF PHILIPPINE INDEPENDENCE ON JULY 4, 1946, THIS BUILDING BECAME THE CHANCERY OF THE EMBASSY OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.


No comments:

Post a Comment