Church of Oas

NHCP Photo Collection, 2010

NHCP Photo Collection, 2010
Location: Oas, Albay (Region V)
Category: Building
Type: House of Worship
Status: Level II - With Marker
Marker Date: 1950
Marker Text:
CHURCH OF OAS

FOUNDED BY FRANCISCAN MISSIONARIES, 1605, WITH FRAY MARCOS DE LISBOA AS FIRST CURATE. BIGGER CHURCH AND CONVENT OF VOLCANIC ROCKS AND BRICKS CONSTRUCTED UNDER THE DIRECTION OF FRAY FANCISCO DE ANUNCIACION O. PENARANDA, 1825. BOTH DAMAGED BY FIRE, 1866, AND RECONSTRUCTED BY FRAY FRANCISCO DE ARAGONES THE SAME YEAR. SUBSEQUENT DAMAGES BY EARTHQUAKE AND TYPHOON REPAIRED BY FRAY MANUEL DE BRIHUEG, 1884. TRANSCEPT OF THE CHURCH ANNEXED BY FRAY SANTOS HERREJON, 1873-1878. CONVENT REMODELED BY FRAY CARLOS CABIDO, 1889;TOTALLY DESTROYED BY TYPHOON, 25 DECEMBER 1947. PART OF THE CHURCH ROOFING DAMAGED BY SAME TYPHOON; RESTORED BY M.R.P. LUIS DIMADUMBA, 1948.


(Source: Historical Markers Regions V-VII; National Historical Institute, 1994; p. 30)

No comments:

Post a Comment