Church of Sta. Cruz

NHCP Photo Collection, 2006

NHCP Photo Collection, 2006
Location: Sta. Cruz, Manila (Region NCR)
Category: Building
Type: House of Worship 
Status: Level II - With Marker
Marker Date: 1937



Marker Text:



CHURCH OF STA. CRUZ

THE CHURCH WAS BUILT AND ADMINISTERED BY THE JESUITS UP TO 1768. ADIOINING WAS TI-IE JESUIT COLLEGE OF SAN ILDEFONSO, FOUNDED BY GOVERNOR ALFONSO FAJARDO DE LA TENZA ON IANUARY 9, 1724. THE TITULAR PATRONESS OF THE CHURCH IS NUESTRA SENORA DEL PILAR, WHOSE STATUE WAS BROUGHT FROM SPAIN PRIOR TO 1768. THE CONFRATERNITY OF NUESTRA SENORA DEL PILAR WAS CANONICALLY  ERECTED IN THIS CHURCH IN 1743. ON TI·IE SURROUNDING PLAZA THE BRITISH RETURNED THE CITY OF MANILA TO SIMON DE ANDA Y SALAZAR IN 1764.

No comments:

Post a Comment