Church of Santo Cristo

NHCP Photo Collection
Location: 183 F. Blumentritt St., San Juan City (Region NCR)
Category: Building
Type: House of Worship
Status: Level II - With Marker
Marker Date: 1937

Marker Text:
CHURCH OF SANTO CRISTO

THE CHURCH AND CONVENT WERE BUILT IN 1602-1604 BY THE DOMINICAN PROVINCE OF THE MOST HOLY ROSARY ON A SITE DONATED BY CAPTAIN JULIAN DE CUENCA. BOTH BUILDINGS WERE BURNED DURING THE CHINESE UPRISING OF 1639. THE NEW CHURCH AND CONVENT, CONSTRUCTED IN 1641, WERE SET ON FIRE IN JULY 1763 DURING THE BRITISH OCCUPATION OF MANILA. THE PRESENT CHURCH AND CONVENT, CONSTRUCTED IN 1774, WERE USED BY THE INSURGENT FORCES OF THE REVOLUTION OF 1898. THIS SANCTUARY IS THE SEAT OF THE CONFRATERNITY OF SANTISIMO CRISTO DE SAN JUAN DEL MONTE APPROVED BY POPE INNOCENT X ON MARCH 4, 1648.

No comments:

Post a Comment