Church of Nagcarlan

NHCP Photo Collection
Location: Nagcarlan, Laguna (Region IV-A)
Category: Building
Type: House of Worship
Status: Level II - With Marker
Marker Date: 1937
Marker Text:
CHURCH OF NAGCARLAN

THE FIRST CHURCH WHICH WAS OF LIGHT MATERIALS WAS BUILT BY REV TOMAS DE MIRANDA, O.E.M., WHO WAS ASSIGNED TO THIS TOWN IN 1583 AS RESIDENT PRIEST. THE SECOND CHURCH OF BRICK AND STONE WAS BUILT IN 1752. BUT WAS PARTLY DESTROYED BY FIRE IN 1781. A CHOIRLOFT WAS ADDED TO THE RECONSTRUCTED CHURCH IN 1845 BY REV. VICENTE VELLOC WHO BUILT THE NAGCARLANG CEMETERY AND ITS UNDERGROUND CRYPT. REV TOMAS DE MIRANDA WAS PIONEER IN THE SUCCESSFUL CULTIVATION OF WHEAT IN THE UPLANDS OF NAGCARLANG.

No comments:

Post a Comment