Church of San Agustin*

NHCP Photo Collection
NHCP Photo Collection, 2007
Interior
NHCP Photo Collection, 2011

Location: Intramuros, Manila (Region NCR)
Category: Building
Type: House of Worship
Status: National Historical Landmark

Listed: UNESCO World Heritage Site
Marker Date: 1934
Marker Text:

CHURCH OF SAN AGUSTIN

OLDEST IN THE PHILIPPINES. CORNERSTONE LAID 1N 1599, CHURCH COMPLETED IN 1606 UNDER SUPERVISION OF THE LAY BROTHER ANTONIO HERRERA, OF THE CHURCH IN MANILA, THIS ONE ALONE WITHSTOOD THE EARTHQUAKE OF 1645, 1754, 1852 AND 1880. THE CHOIR HAS 68 CARVED MOLAVE SEATS.  AN  ARTISTIC LECTERN, AND PARCHMENT CANTORALS OF THE 16TH AND 17TH CENTURIES. THIS CHURCH AND ITS GRAVES WERE PROFANED DURING THE BRITISH OCCUPATION OF MANILA IN 1762, AND THE ASHES OF LEGASPI, SALCEDO, LAVEZA­RES AND OTHERS NOW REST IN THE EASTERNMOST CHAPEL OF THE TRANSEPT. TERMS FOR THE AMERI­CAN OCCUPATION OF MANILA WERE SIGNED IN THE VESTRY OF THIS CHURCH IN AUGUST, 1898.


(Source: Historical Markers, Metro Manila; National Historical Institute, 1993)

No comments:

Post a Comment