Church of Lumbang

© Ramon FVelasquez/Wikimedia Commons/CC-BY-SA 3.0
© Ramon FVelasquez/Wikimedia Commons/CC-BY-SA 3.0
© Ramon FVelasquez/Wikimedia Commons/CC-BY-SA 3.0
Location: Lumbang, Laguna
Category: Building
Type: House of Worship
Status: Level II: With Marker
Marker: 1939
Marker text:
CHURCH OF LUMBANG

LUMBANG WAS FOR A TIME THE CENTER OF ALL MISSIONARY ACTIVITIES IN LAGUNA. REV JUAN DE PLASENCIA, O.F.M., MINISTERED HERE IN 1578. THE ORIGINAL CHURCH IF WOOD AND THATCH WAS DESTROYED BY FIRE, BEING REPLACED BY THE FIRST STONE CHURCH TO BE BUILT IN LAGUNA,COMPLETED HERE  IN 1600. A SOLEMN EUCHARISTIC PROCESSION WAS HELD HERE ON OTOBER 9,1600 THE CHURCH WAS SERIOUSLY DAMAGED BY THE EARTHQUAKE OF 1880. A RESTHOUSE OF A SICK FRANCISCAN MISSIONARIES WAS MAINTAINED HERE FROM 1606 TO 1618.REV JUAN DE SANTA MARIA, O.F.M.,CONDUCTED HERE INN 1606 A REGIONAL SCHOOL, WHERE 400 BOYS WERE TAUGHT LITURGICAL HYMNS AND THE USE OF MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS.

No comments:

Post a Comment