Church of Mabitac

© Ramon FVelasquez/Wikimedia Commons/CC-BY-SA 3.0
© Ramon FVelasquez/Wikimedia Commons/CC-BY-SA 3.0


Location: Mabitac, Laguna

Category: Building
Type: House of Worship
Status: Level II: With Marker
Marked date: 1939
Marker text:
CHURCH OF MABITAC 

THIS TOWN DATES FROM 1613. THE EARTHQUAKE OF 1880 SERIOUSLY DAMAGED THE PRESENT CHURCH. REPAIRS HERE MADE BY REV. ANTONIO DE LA FUENTE. THE EARHTQUAKE OF AUGUST 20, 1937, LEFT IT UNSERVICEABLE. THE IMAGE OF NUESTRA SENORA DE LA CANDELARIA, HONORED IN THE CHURCH, IS FAMED THROUGHOUT LAGUNA. CRISTOBAL DE MERCADO GAVE IT TO THE CHURCH OF PACO, MANILA IN 1600. IN 1615 IT WAS REMOVED TO SINILOAN; BUT THAT SAME YEAR THE FOUNDERS OF MABUTAC FOUGHT SUCCESSFULLY FOR ITS PERMANENT POSSESION BY THIS PARISH.

No comments:

Post a Comment