Cathedral of Lipa


© Allan Jay Quesada/Wikimedia Commons/CC-BY-SA 3.0
© Nickrds09/Wikimedia Commons/CC-BY-SA 3.0
© Allan Jay Quesada/Wikimedia Commons/CC-BY-SA 3.0
© Ramon FVelasquez/Wikimedia Commons/CC-BY-SA 3.0
© RaMmpage18/Wikimedia Commons/CC-BY-SA 3.0
© Ramon FVelasquez/Wikimedia Commons/CC-BY-SA 3.0
Location: Lipa City (Region IV-A)
Category:  Building
Type: House of Worship
Status: Level II: With Marker
Marker Date: 1939
Marker text:

                                                          CATHEDRAL OF LIPA

THE PARISH OF LIPA WAS ADMINISTERED BY THE AUGUSTINIANS FROM 1605 TO THE END OF THE NINETEENTH CENTURY LIPA, WHICH WAS LOCATED FORMERLY ON THE SHORE OF BOMBON LAKE, WAS DESTROYED BY THE ERUPTION OF TAAL VOLCANO IN 1754 BUT WAS RECONSTRUCTED ON THE PRESENT SITE. THIS CHURCH WAS BUILT UNDER THE SUPERVISION OF THE REV. BENITO VARAS,O.S.A., PARISH PRIEST FROM 1685 TO 1894. THE DIOCESE OF LIPA WAS CREATED BY POPE X ON APRIL 10,1910. THE AUGUSTINIANS ENCOURAGE THE EXTENSIVE CULTIVATION OF CACAO AND COFFEE.

No comments:

Post a Comment